You are here: Home Resources Regional Operating Agreement Other


permitDisposal of solid wastes and dead stock

Some solid wastes (e.g. concrete and contaminated soil) may need to be disposed of in an approved manner and you should discuss this with your local council or the Environmental Protection Authority prior to disposal.

Some landfills have specific areas for dead stock. Discuss this with your local council.

Who to speak to

Your local council and/or the Environmental Protection Authority.


permitStructures and earthworks including land forming, importing fill, laser grading, levee banks, tracks, aqueducts and drains.

Earthworks can alter the rate or pattern of water flow for local drainage or flood flows, impact on native vegetation (including aquatic vegetation), neighbouring properties and the environment.

Who to speak to

Your local council.


permitSand/gravel/rock/mineral extraction, including all mining and exploration.

Sand, gravel and mineral extraction needs to be managed to ensure minimal impact on waterway health and stream stability.
Permits, licences and work authorities may be required depending on the type of extraction. 

Who to speak to

Speak to DPI Minerals and Energy in Bendigo for more information.


permitDisposal of liquid wastes (domestic septic tanks/animal effluent/other liquid)


Natural resources can be adversely affected if liquid wastes are not disposed of appropriately. The permit or approval you require will depend on the type and volume of liquid waste you want to dispose of. In the first instance, contact your local council/shire, which may recommend you speak to the EPA or a private septic operator.

Who to speak to

Talk to your local council.

Council may recommend you speak to the EPA or a private septic operator, depending on what you are planning to do.


infoSpraying of agricultural chemicals


Many agricultural chemicals are dangerous to operators and the environment and need to be applied by licensed operators.

Who to speak to

There are variations for chemical use at various times of the year. Speak to DPI in the first instance to get advice on what action you should take.

 Find out more

DPI Fact Sheet on what you can and can’t do is at:

 DPI Chemical Standards website:


infoExcessive noise or air emissions

Airborne pollutants and noises can impact on the environment.  The rights of neighbours also need to be recognised and protected.

Who to speak to


Find out more

Noise – see EPA website at:

Air – see EPA website at:


permitPlanned burning of material such as grass, scrub or timber for fire protection

Permits are required when summer fire restrictions are in force.  It is illegal to light a fire or leave alight a fire when a CFA Total Fire Ban is in force.

Fire restrictions are placed to protect our parks and forests, private and public property from fire damage.

Who to speak to

  • Talk to your local council. During the fire danger period, you  must apply for a permit at your local municipal office if you wish to burn any rubbish or vegetation.  Your municipality may have other burning restrictions - find out before lighting up.
  • For information on fire danger periods and burning off on private land, you can also speak to the DSE's Mallee Fire District, Irymple.
  • Information on fire warnings is available from the CFA.

Find out more

For information on burning off:

For fire warnings:

infoIntensive animal industries

Get advice on permits and other requirements before you establish any intensive animal industry.

Who to speak to

Talk to your local council.


Document Actions